Monday, October 17, 2005

Start Spreadin' It

“Hey! I’m in New York! I’ve got a gun! Let’s go see a Broadway show!”

I am, indeed, in New York and I find myself tempted to repeat that line from Wayne’s World over and over again. Out loud, I mean, because it’s definitely happening in my head! I’ve been here several times before, mind you, but it’s a special place and it does always bring to mind many t.v. and movie favorites that are set here.

Today, in my travels around the city (walking and riding the subway all over to get better acquainted with the loudest place on earth) I walked by the Soup Nazi place from Seinfeld. I believe he calls himself The Soup Man. Less funny, but probably also less insulting. Right next door, I found the headquarters for Kenny Kramer’s Reality Tour. Kenny is the real-life Kramer upon whom the Kramer we all know and love was partially based. Deep down, I know that this is not a t.v. show, but real life, but I couldn’t help chuckling. I look forward to visiting the famous Waldorf-Astoria hotel at some later point and reliving favorite moments from Coming To America and other fine movies set there.

I have also seen the latest fashion trends out and about in the city today and, ladies, here’s what’s coming… Crazy styles of tall, tight boots that you’ll be tucking your jeans into when you want to look like the fashionable women of NYC. If you are worried that the designers spent too much time making them look outlandish, don’t. They also took care to make them look as uncomfortable as possible. You’ll love them! Be on the lookout.

The rest of the city seems to be fumbling about with their iPod headphones all day. I didn’t use mine today – wanted to look like a tourist.

Comedy starts tonight, baby! I’ll be at two open mics – one at The Village Lantern in… that’s right, the Village, and then at the Bowery Poetry Club, where I believe the mic is open to all sorts of nonsense besides comedy. Should be fun. New York, get ready to laugh!

No comments: