Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Back On Track

I read yesterday that train derailments and accidents* in the State of Tennessee were down by 13% in the last year, as a result of 19 fewer incidents. WHAT?!?

19 fewer train derailments and accidents in a state, in a year was a THIRTEEN PERCENT reduction?

Where are all of these disasters? Did anyone have any idea that there were so many railroad accidents in any state? I would have thought that any reduction in incidents would have represented a 100% or 50%, or 33% at the very least, reduction.

A train is passing by my home as I write this and I'd like to share that it is not the least bit comforting that the tracks are a mere 25 feet or so from where I sit. I'm happy to hear about the big reduction in incidents, but I still feel about 87% scared.

Speaking of back on track, the Temple Israel Lady Rabs have begun a new season of teen league basketball and I made my triumphant** return to the sideline tonight. It's a great group and it's going to be a fun season. I'll keep you posted.

* I don't know what counts as an accident. Until I find out, I'd stop at crossings if I were you.

** The triumph was in being there and having fun coaching, not - as has so often been the case throughout my coaching career - in the final score.

No comments: