Friday, March 28, 2008

Golden Ticket 1: Texas Does Its Part

Today's the day that I can get a team in the Final Four. I wrote after the NCAA Tournament bracket was originally released about the horror of having both my championship-contender teams (Memphis and Texas) in the same region, meaning only one could advance to the Final Four. Since that time, I have computed and recomputed every possible eventuality and considered every possible scenario to find the one that best suited me and my teams.

In the end, the obvious choice of both teams winning as many games as possible and facing each other became the clearly desirable situation. That way, I would be assured of one of my teams making it to the tournament's final weekend with a chance to be a champion. That is the upside of both teams being assigned to the same region.

Texas has done its part. The Longhorns just finished off a twenty-point win over Stanford to advance to the Elite 8. Well done, 'Horns! Can Memphis uphold its end of the bargain and secure its third consecutive trip to the next round and, more importantly*, satisfy - a round early - my desire to see one of my teams back in the Final Four? We shall soon see. I'm off to change out of my burnt orange shirt into the royal blue of Memphis, and say goodbye for now to the Longhorn Band in iTunes and click over to the Mighty Sound of the South, the Memphis band, for some Tiger tunes.

* To me.

No comments: