Saturday, March 29, 2008

Golden Ticket 4: What's A Ziggy To Do?

Saturday night. The eve of the Elite 8 showdown between my two favorite teams: The Longhorns of The University of Texas, my much beloved alma mater, and the Tigers of the University of Memphis, the team I have cheered for since I was a small child. The game begins in about thriteen and a half hours and I have yet to figure out a way to arrange it so that both teams can win. It appears that one will go to the Final Four and one will go home. Will I watch? Will I wear either team's color? Who will I cheer for?

What's a Ziggy to do?

I have considered thoroughly and been asked by many who I want to win this game. Will I root for the Longhorns - the team representing The University I love and of which I am a proud graduate (and to which my parents paid a fair amount of tuition)... the team that has a chance to get to its 2nd Final Four this decade and cement its place amongst the perennial powers of college basketball... the team that wears the color I figuratively bleed and literally eat on game days? Or will I root for the Tigers - the team I grew up idolizing and imitating on the family driveway/basketball court... the team that is and has long been the sports focal point of the city where I grew up and currently live... the team that has been overlooked by the major conferences, but who has nonetheless reached the Elite 8 for the third straight year and has the chance to get to the next level?

Here's the answer: I will be rooting for the Memphis Tigers (but will be hoping for both teams to play well and will be happy for whichever team wins and sad for the loser).

Here's the reasoning: Tiger basketball runs deep within me. I love playing, watching, and coaching basketball and that was all fed by my experience as a Tiger fan, during and since my childhood. I went to The University of Texas a huge college basketball fan and Texas basketball, at the time, did not consume me like it did in Memphis. Partly because basketball at Texas wasn't all that great, and partly because so many other things were. Basketball is THE chance Memphis has to achieve greatness in sports. Texas wins everything! UT has won a football national championship and a College World Series in the last few years, and was in the Final Four in 2003. As a matter of fact, the Texas Swimming and Diving team is in the middle of competing for its 10th National championship this weekend. In short, Texas will have other chances. Finally, and most selfishly, a Tiger trip to the Final Four would be a huge uplift for the City of Memphis and it would be fun to live amidst the excitement in the coming week.

Here's the prediction: I have no idea what will happen. Either team could win. I will be very excited.

I'm sorry that one will have to eliminate the other, but I'm thrilled that one of these teams will advance. Good luck to both and to ZiggyBackRiders (and their favorite teams) everywhere. Check back soon for "Golden Ticket 5: Grandpa Joe or Grandma Josephine?"

No comments: