Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Real World

Well, I'm back. Back in the real world. What's that you say? You didn't know I was gone? Yeah, I probably didn't mention (since I haven't been writing nearly enough) that I was going to camp last week. I spent the week in Utica, MS (probably story enough!) at Camp Dream Street, a summer camp for children with physical disabilities. It was about my 13th year helping out there and it was as incredibly fun, funny, and touching as ever. You can find out more about Dream Street and see pictures of all the fun at www.dreamstreetms.org.

I have long known that things happen at camp that just don't translate in the real world. Things that just don't compute with any sense of normal life. Never in my 13 years at Dream Street or my 20+ at the summer camp where I grew up has it ever been more evident. Three nights ago, for instance, there was a moment when I paused to look at the situation, and just burst out laughing. (Two things: keep in mind that I am a 30 year-old man who works in commercial real estate and stand-up comedy AND be sure to read this whole thing 'cause it's gonna sound weird for a minute.)

I was sitting in a makeshift camp radio studio wearing pajamas, boxer shorts outside the pajama bottoms, a pillow case cape, a sleep cap (you know the long stocking cap with a little ball on top that no one in real life - but everyone in story books - wears to sleep), and of course, my boot for the foot that is hopefully healing well. Yes, that is how I was dressed, and what was I doing? I was hosting a radio show for children who were taking showers. (this is the potentially weird part. hang in there. Okay, fine. I guess we're past potentially.) I just looked at myself and what I was doing, and thought, "Wow! What kind of life is this? And more importantly, how will I ever explain this to people at home and to the loyal readers of Ziggybackride?"

So, here's an attempt to explain. The pajamas, boxers, cape, and cap were all part of my superhero costume (the theme of the week was Superheroes). I was "The Snore: snoozing for justice, putting the bad guy to sleep, wearing pajamas!" (I think you have to imagine that being said by the movie preview voice. You know the one.) And the radio show? There's a little radio station at camp that can be picked up on an FM frequency. It can also be heard by some of the neighbors of the camp, which is a little embarrassing, though I seriously doubt they were tuning in to The Power Shower Hour on Radio Dream Street 100.3 FM! The show was packed with good music, witty banter and fun interviews with camp characters and others. It even included an interview with college football announcing great, Keith Jackson, though I played Keith and interviewed myself, which I'm told was highly entertaining for those in the studio to watch. Ziggybackride reader and Dream Street enthusiast, Ben Dorfman (of dorfmangoestohollywood.blogspot.com) even called in to the show. That was a new high/low for Radio Dream Street.

Okay, this is getting way too long. Suffice it to say that the week was wonderful, the kids had a great time, and we all got to do things that we rarely have the opportunity to do. I feel very, very lucky to have been a part of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i miss dream street so much! i had such a good visual of you being "the snore"...although it helps that i helped hannah plan her wonder woman costume.