Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Don't Fret

I'm alive! I have not been writing, but it is not because some terrible fate has befallen me. I have just been half busy, half lazy, and half procrastinatory (and I suppose yet one more half... bad at fractions). Busy with work - on the real estate front, mostly, but also lots of nights at Memphis's great new comedy club, Comedy,TN - and travel to the wedding of a good friend. Lazy with, well... nothing. That's just how laziness works, I guess. And procrastinatory with things that I see and experience that I want to tell you about, but figure, "Well, I'll just gather a few more thoughts and then write them all together. You know... later."

What sorts of things have I seen? I'll tell you. I saw comedian Todd Barry perform in Memphis. You may have seen him on Comedy Central. Or somewhere else. He was quite funny, though he didn't do my favorite bit - probably becuse it's old - that I've seen of his in which he makes fun of a musical presentation on an awards show that featured Guns 'N' Roses playing with a symphony orchestra. The orchestra is using sheet music. Guns 'N' Roses is not. He does a great job of making that sound just as stupid as it is. Speaking of strange musical performances, sharing the stage with Todd was a local musical duo, one of whom played... the saw. He was playing a saw - with which you might cut a piece of wood - with a violin bow. It was hauntingly beautiful and incredibly strange. Even stranger was that no one else in the crowded establishment seemed to think anything of it. I was flabbergasted. The rest of the crowd was not gasted in any manner, whatsoever. What I still can't figure out is why the saw didn't cut through the strings on the bow. We'll save that for another time, though.

All else is well. I'll report on the wedding weekend just past later, and I'll close by sharing with you the fantastic news that I am now wearing two shoes. Normally not a big accomplishment, I know, but I was wearing the "I'm a brittle old man and I broke a bone in my foot doing nothing" boot for most of the last six weeks. It's good to be back in matching footwear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha good to know you're still alive.

p.s. i was at bball camp this week (shane battier's actually) and i decided i have to play bball next year. that is, if you still want me to....