Saturday, June 17, 2006

Opening Day, Opening Night, and an Etymological Query

This week saw some exciting beginnings. Wednesday was opening day at the URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp in Utica, MS. I spent many - very many - a summer there as a camper and staff member, and was there as a "staff brat" prior to my camper years and as a "visiting professional" since my staff tenure came to an end. If I don't make it there during this summer's sessions, it will be the first time since around 1976 or '77 that I haven't been there during the season. At present, I have no concrete plans to visit. We'll see.

Even though I am no longer there, though, I still feel "it" on opening day. It's similar to how I still have a weird little feeling in my gut on the first and last day of school, though I am no longer on a school schedule, myself. Anyone who ever passed through the gates of my camp - or probably any other - on opening day is likely to have vivid memories of that excited, nervous feeling of wondering who your counselors would be, who would be in your cabin, would you be in time to pick a good bed, etc. Camp is a special thing. I feel for those who never had the experience and I expect I'll always know deep down when it's opening day.

In other news, Comedy,Tennessee, Memphis' new comedy club opened it's permanent location this week. Wednesday night was a soft opening for comics, friends of the club, sponsors and the like. Thursday night was the grand opening. I was privileged to perform there that night, opening for headliner, J. Scott Homan, whom I have now seen 5 times (3 in the last two days) and who entertains me greatly every time. I also performed at the early show Friday night. I have yet to have a great set in the new club, but I look forward to a breakout performance really soon! I think the pressure of being "Funniest Person in Memphis" is finally getting to me! It's tough man!

Okay, no. No it's not.

Did you ever take etymology (in which you study the parts and origins of words and phrases)? I did. They made us take it in high school. I found it fascinating. To this day, I often find myself wondering whence some of the things we say came. Last night, I said something to someone and they told me they “didn’t give a rat’s ass.” Rude, huh? Well, that’s okay. I’m not easily offended. But that did get me to wondering. Should my goal have been to say something so good and valuable that they would give a rat’s ass? Was there ever a time or place in the vast experience of humanity that a rat’s ass was considered substantial compensation for a job well done? “Thank you so much for that very valuable information! I feel like I owe you something. Hmmm… I know! How about this? What do you mean, ‘what is it?’ Why, it’s a rat’s ass, of course! No, don’t be silly! Take it. You’ve earned it, believe me.” **

** Yes, of course I recognize the fact that there’s an excellent chance you don’t give a rat’s ass about this, and I’m sorry. I hope one day to write something better. Maybe then you’ll give a rat’s ass. I hope so. I’m plumb out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you called when i was sleeping btw and i'm sorry for not calling you back. i'm leaving for jayhawk country tomorrow. tell me you're going to be performing again soon.