Thursday, February 09, 2006

Good Samaritan of Steel

Greetings Earthlings! (see last post) I hope this finds you well. I'm doing quite nicely as I prepare for a comedy performance tonight (at Neil's in Midtown Memphis at 8:30). Often, people compare my style of comedy to that of Jerry Seinfeld. This always makes me very, very happy because Jerry is my comedy hero. I love his stuff - each premise, the construction of the jokes with the funniest single words in the funniest possible order, and just the right gesture or facial expression to augment the humor. It is a pleasure to be compared to him.

I'd be surprised, however, if I were ever compared to the Jerry who, on the final episode of Seinfeld, violated the Samaritan law by neglecting to help a fellow citizen in trouble. You won't hear that about me, no siree. Why just this very morning, I stopped by my friendly neighborhood Starbucks (see post from June 15, 2004) - that's not my good deed - and I ordered a grande coffee with room for cream - also not the good deed. I then proceeded to the little coffee operating room where you add your cream and sweetener, where I "dressed" my coffee just the way I like it. In order to get my coffee up to my standard, I had to use the last few drops of half-and-half and almost the last of the skim, but I squeezed just enough out of both thermoses. My coffee was done and it was good. Before departing, though, I got the attention of one of the Starbucks Associates and let her know about the creamer shortage. Not for myself - my coffee was perfect - but for the many people in line behind me who would be wanting coffee as good as my own, and for the barristas who would bear the brunt of the unhappiness of a cream-deprived clientele.

So, you see. I have done my good deed for the day. Maybe there's still time for another. Maybe not. But don't ever accuse me of being a Samaritan of any level below "good."

In other news, the Steelers did, in fact, win the Super Bowl (I know you needed me to tell you), keeping very much alive the possibility of the greatest sports year ever. EVER! Last night, the Temple Israel Lady Rabs played their first game of Season II (Roman for two). With three key players missing and only five present, they lost a heartbreaker, but mark my words... these girls will win games and maybe even a championship. Their male counterparts, however, will not. The Runnin' Rabs have had a fun season, but are in a league in which we are terrifically overmatched. The other night we scored 4 points in our most productive quarter of the game. Yikes. See? Greatest year ever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what's your record now, 0-6?

Anonymous said...

Uhh I'm pretty sure Johnny Johnson has played in the bball league at the Jax synagogue. Can't you guys get someone who's only Jewish by association like Johnny?