Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Boy, I hope that's true! Laughter is the best medicine, that is. I hope it's true because, while I'm very excited about my budding career in stand-up comedy, I'm don't think it's making me healthier. Every night, I come home wreaking of smoke... in the wee hours of the morning. I'm developing emphysema and I'm tired. It's not pretty.

I never thought about that. I never realized that I have to be willing to become a smoker if I want to do this regularly. Not that I will actually be smoking, but there's a lot of that second-hand stuff there. It hardly seems fair, that just because I apparently have some talent for this comedy stuff, my chances of lung cancer should skyrocket. I guess that's the price. I'd love to see some numbers on death rates for comics.

Maybe I'll start handing out Nicorette while I perform. Just have people walk right up while I'm talking and get some nicotine gum from me. It'll be really disruptive to my act, but much better for my bronchial tubes.

On a brighter note, my friends always want to know if I'm making money doing comedy, and I'm prepared to give a report. This is my somewhat comical comedy financial disclosure form...

Earnings... $29, 2 Budweiser Selects, 3 Budweisers, 1 Bud Light
Expenditures... $31 for a camera tripod, $28 for digital video tapes, $25 for gas, $6 for vhs tapes, $5 for dvds, $4 for "tussin" (see smoking/emphysema rant above)

Yup, I'm living the dream. But I won't forget you.

No comments: