Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Office Space

I told you I was a movie star!  Weeks ago, I wrote about embarking on the filming of an independent comedy feature.  Since that opening weekend of filming, I hadn't heard anything from the producers of this soon-to-be masterpiece.  Finally, last night, I remembered, at a decent hour, to call them and find out if the movie had been canned or just me.  Turns out they've just been busy filming scenes that I am not in and I'll be back in front of the camera soon.  This is exactly what I had been telling friends and acquaintances who have asked how it's going, but I didn't really believe it anymore.  "The Importance of Being Russell: A comedy of redneck proportions" is still on the way!

I'm psyched that I wasn't fired, but it wouldn't have mattered.  Turns out I'm living in a movie anyway.  Unfortunately, it's Office Space, which would be fine if I weren't the guy who keeps getting moved around.  Today, I moved into my 8th office in the four years I've held my current job.  It is my 3rd office in the last 2 months.  Let me say that again.  It's my 3rd office in the last 2 months.  Luckily, I was very unconscientious about unpacking and settling into my last office, so most of my stuff was still ready to go.  That's the lesson for today, kids.  Laziness always pays off in the end!  I understand the reason for each and every one of my moves and they have basically all been solid.  Therefore, I'm not too concerned that my employer is trying to run me off by moving me around.  If they are, they're going to way too much trouble.  This time, it involves hiring a whole preschool class worth of toddler actors, who will pretend to be one extra class we weren't planning to have, causing our school to take up one more room than anticipated.  Golly!  If they want me to leave, they should just tell me.  I'd be happy to take some time off and these unfortunate toddlers could quit their acting jobs and enroll in preschool for real.  They're like little sponges - soaking up all the knowledge they can.  It's really the most important time in their educational careers! 

No comments: