Thursday, July 29, 2004

Dewey Defeats Truman

Wasn't that the mistaken headline of the newspaper that overanxiously reported on the presidential election?  I think so.  Anyway...

We won!  My teammates and I are champions.   It is both sad and nice how genuinely exciting that is.  Sad because I'm old and wise enough to understand where this truly stands in the grand scheme of things.  Nice because that little part of me that loves to play games, compete, and have fun is clearly alive and well. 

Now we brace ourselves for the always-tumultuous off season.  Who will retire?  Who will be released?  Which players will show up overweight and out of shape to training camp?  That's easy.  All of us.  If we had training camp, that is.  Will this become a dynasty or will the team be broken up by free agency, leaving fans with but a taste of the glory they could have enjoyed in a different age when loyalty prevailed over avarice. 

Wait.  No.  Never mind.  I forgot which league this is.  We just all have to sign up again the next time the league is announced in our community center bulletin.  But still!  I mean... come on!

No comments: