Thursday, July 22, 2004

Jewish Sports Round-up

Just to keep you all posted, because I know you freakin' care (Even I hardly do.  Okay, that's not true.  I love this stuff!), my summer league basketball team delivered big time in our semifinal game last night, winning 54-32 behind a balanced effort from the only five guys who could make it to the game.  This was the 2nd chapter of a Cinderella story that started last Wednesday when we, the tournament's 6th seed, ousted the number 3.  Chapter 3 begins next Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. CDT, and will last as long as it takes to play two twenty-minute halves with running clock, except for the last couple minutes of the half.  We'll be taking on the number 1 seed in our bid to claim the league crown and the imagined immortality that accompanies it.  Over the next few days, we'll be keeping a close eye on the nose of our team captain.  It was broken with just over two minutes to play in last night's game as he dove for a loose ball and collided, face-first, with an opposing player's knee.  Up 20 with two minutes to go and diving for a loose ball!  That's the spirit!  I mean, I wouldn't do it, but I'm proud to be the teammate of someone who would!  Maybe he'll get to wear one of those freaky little face masks (as opposed to the other kind of masks) to protect the nose from further damage.  That would be neat.

In softball news, my team continues the journey toward greatness tonight on the long, confusing, meandering path that is the losers' bracket.  It's double elimination and we've had our single already.  I think, though, and this hardly seems right, that if we win tonight, we are in the championship, but would just have to beat the winners' bracket winner twice, while they would only have to beat us once.  Win or lose, tonight is my last softball game of the season, as I will be in New Orleans next Thursday preparing for the wedding of two friends.  Preparing!  What do I have to prepare?  I'll be sitting around making jokes and listening to the bridegroom-to-be's little George Bush doll say things like, "I was raised in the West... the West of Texas.  That's pretty close to California... in more ways than Washington, D.C. is close to California."  It'll be great.  Aaaaannd that's... what's happening in softball!

No comments: