Friday, August 29, 2008

Welcome To The Season

Election season is here. Football season is here. ZiggyBackRide's figurative head is ready to explode with excitement.

I thought Barack Obama's address at the Democratic National Convention in Denver was perfect. I believe, more and more each day, that he is the kind of leader he says he is and is willing to truly champion the kind of change about which he speaks. Granted, I was a supporter already and this may just be convention-related euphoria, but I'm trying to see through that.

He talks about things that I believe very firmly: going beyond policy to look at what kind of person each of us is and what kind of communities we can build together; putting party aside in favor of what can really help people, make America stronger, and make the world better.

It is his glorious commitment to loftiness for which I believe we should all be striving that I anticipate will make this election season so frustrating. I have already heard commentary from people who say he's thinking too big and that lofty is nice, but you have to get things done. I'm hearing these things from people who would be first in line to say how great America is. Why, then, would they want a candidate for President of this great country to shoot for anything other than lofty? If you reach for the stars, you may not reach them, but you won't end up with a handful of dirt either. Let's not be afraid to aim high!

John McCain selected Sarah Palin, this morning, as his running mate. I look at the two of them and my first impression says they will not win. I'm looking forward to finding out more about her, though, and hearing what they both have to say next week in the Twin Cities.

My congratulations to both candidates for classy moves early on, though. We might be in for a great campaign. I hope so! We'll see over the next few months.

With all the political goings-on, there has been less time for pre-football season preparations, but the season is upon us. The Texas Longhorns play their first game tomorrow night against an upstart Florida Atlantic team who won their conference last year and whose coach recently questioned the toughness of the Longhorns. Let's get it on.

Yesterday, I went on my first football season shopping trip of the year, procuring orange food and drink for gamedays and it's all set up in front of the tv, ready for the game...



Now, I know what you must be thinking and, deep down, I know you're right. The queso is really more yellowish than orange, but I feel confident that it has something to add to the effort! No, I know what you're REALLY thinking and don't worry, I didn't leave the carrot chips sitting in front of the tv. They're in the fridge. Okay, okay, I know what you're REALLY, REALLY thinking and I think it's going to be okay. Gatorade G2 can be just as effective in helping the Horns as Diet Rite Tangerine and Diet Sunkist have been in seasons past.

For some clarification on just what on earth I'm talking about, see these previous posts.
The Adventure Begins
My Stitions ARE Super!

No comments: