Sunday, October 22, 2006

My Stitions ARE Super!

I have written many times about the various measures I take to ensure victory for the Texas Longhorn football team. I do it for other teams, too. During the 2000 playoffs, I began watching Yankees post-season games with a blue "victory" candle burning. That was such a success, I now have a burnt orange candle that often burns during Texas games (and gives off a delightful pumpkin pie scent!).

Faithful Ziggybackriders may find this hard to believe, but sometimes I question the effectiveness (but never the sanity) and necessity of these little traditions of mine. I wonder whether orange foods consumed by a Texas fan in Germantown, Tennessee really help the Horns. Sometimes I think, "maybe this is all a little bit silly."

Never again.

College football fans certainly know about yesterday's Texas-Nebraska game - a key win for Texas. What they don't know is that I (and also maybe Greg Davis, the UT offensive coordinator) almost ruined it.

When the game began, I was watching at home: Longhorn Band playing in iTunes, pumpkin pie candle blazing, football in hand, Diet Sunkist soda and Reduced Fat Cheez-its available close by. It was off to a good start. By halftime, the 'Horns were leading and appeared to be in control of things. A friend called and invited me over to watch the 2nd half and have lunch. I accepted. I extinguished the candle, put down the ball, grabbed some Diet Rite tangerine soda for the road (I didn't want to be overly confident), and left.

In the second half, Nebraska crept back into the game. It was getting dicey. I began to think, "maybe I should go back home. Maybe coming over here wasn't such a good idea." But then I thought the better of it, "Naaahh. We're going to be fine. I've done my job."

As the fourth quarter progressed, though, and as the cold Nebraska snow began to fall, the Cornhuskers took the lead, leaving the Texas empire with little time to strike back. Now I was really wishing I were back home, doing everything I could, but didn't want to miss any of the action. Texas failed to convert a first down and had to punt the ball away. Now Nebraska could try to run out the clock and put the game away. I had had enough.

I grabbed my belongings (cell phone, keys, one extra can of the tangerine stuff), ran out to my car, jumped in, and drove quickly (and maybe a little recklessly, but luckily wrecklessly) home. I rushed into my house, turned on the tv, lit the candle, picked up the football, and within 10 seconds, the Texas defense had caused a fumble and recovered it, giving the 'Horns another shot.

Freshman quarterback Colt McCoy promptly led the team down the field, into position for a field goal attempt, which was successful, giving Texas the victory. I almost blew it. Thankfully, I was able to get back to the fundamentals and do the things that have gotten us this far. My apologies to Longhorn faithful for the scare.

3 comments:

ben said...

i'm with you, homeboy. i was in houston for the weekend, and i had to wear my longhorn polo shirt, b/c i had forgotten to bring my "vintage" number 5 james brown jersey with me, that i have worn during just about every game over the last 2 years. we barely escaped that one.

Anonymous said...

During the third quarter I found myself eating a (red) strawberry popsicle and I was disgusted. Needless to say I quickly finished the popsicle and consequently the Horns pulled it out. My Ced B jersey is 7-0 this year but we'll see if it can survive the TBS jinx the next two weeks.

Anonymous said...

you are a bad fan. bad fan.
and a bad friend. call me.