Sunday, December 30, 2007

Election '08: ZiggyBackRide Decides

The campaign for the White House is for real now. It has, of course, been going on for what seems like decades already, but next week decisions actually start getting made. The Iowa caucus takes place just a couple days into 2008, followed closely by the New Hampshire primary.

During the next 10 months, the staff here at ZiggyBackRide expects to share many thoughts regarding the candidates and the campaign for the highest office in the land.

Early thoughts...

I like Hillary Clinton more than I thought I would so far. She seems experienced and capable and, amongst the Democratic frontrunners, presidential. I used to think that my only interest in her for President could be summed up in the following five words: First Lady William Jefferson Clinton.*

Barack Obama is, to date, Hillary's top challenger for the Democratic Party nomination. I think his lack of experience may hold him back, though. I've heard more than a few refer to Obama as being "too green." I just think it's great that, after generations of struggle and gradual progress, our society is finally so colorblind.

On the Republican side, Mitt Romney has emerged as a strong candidate. He made news a few weeks ago with his address regarding religion in American leadership and his beliefs as a Mormon. Critics' reviews of the speech were mixed, but I understand his wives loved it, saying they "can't wait to be the 1st through 4th ladies of the United States."

More in-depth coverage of Election '08: ZiggyBackRide Decides coming soon.

*It's tough being a genuinely concerned and interested American citizen AND a stand-up comic because the things the comic part of me wants to happen are usually not good for the citizen part. I'm hoping the citizen part can convince the comic part that it has had its turn these past seven years.

No comments: