Wednesday, December 26, 2007

An Outsider's Perspective

I hope everyone had a very nice Christmas and I hope that the spirit of the season - the giving, sharing, and fellowship - will not fade, but will last until next December and become even stronger as the years go by.

There are a few things about the big holiday and the way it is celebrated that I just simply do not understand. Stockings are a big one. It's a tradition whose roots and/or reasons don't occur to me automatically. Was there just a household, one time, that had nowhere to put the gifts?

"Honey, where can we put these? Oh wait, I know! Is there any extra footwear lying around?"

It does seem to have created a nice code word for crappy gifts: "stocking stuffer." Some stocking stuffers are nice gifts, but it's a very, VERY broad category! You know what I think makes the perfect stocking stuffer? A foot. Now that's something you don't want to wake up and find hanging from the mantle.

I like when people threaten children that they may get coal in their stockings. If I were a kid, I would certainly be tempted to say to my parent, "Fine! Put coal in my stocking. That's just what I want!" Because where the hell are they going to get coal? I mean, who has coal just lying around in case a kid is naughty?!?*

I'm also not too sure about the need to bring a tree into the house for a few weeks and I am absolutely unclear on the idea behind egg nog. Perhaps we'll discuss those next year.

* I would strongly caution children in West Virginia against this type of sass. They have coal in those parts.

No comments: