Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Dumpster Duo

I've seen some great/interesting things in my neighborhood over the years (see posts from Aug. 1, 2007 and Feb. 16, 2006). The next in this line of intriguing scenes came today when I came home from the first game of a new 30 and over Jewish men's league basketball season (which my team one, but during which I airballed another free throw - that's 3 in my last 4 or 5 games!) to get ready to go see The Lion King* (on stage). I drove into my parking lot to find the following scene.


Can't read the sign? Take a closer look...





I do love the idea of the lazy, unneighborly discarder of the mattress being called out by the neighborhood conscience, who knows it's wrong to make a mess, but who thinks nothing of hanging a sign on a dumpster calling the mess "retarded."** Welcome to the neighborhood!


This is post #200. Look for the ZiggyBackRide Bicentennial Celebration at post #202. Congratulations to us all!

* The Lion King was very good. I'm a fan of the movie and this was my first time seeing it on stage. Amazing costumes and good music. I did actually think the staging was a little messy, at times, but overall, very enjoyable. I'll have to think about where it ranks among major musicals I've seen. The show was part of a strange Sunday for me. Early basketball game, then The Lion King, after which I hurried to Temple to teach an 11th/12th grade class about God, and then to a bar in Midtown for a meeting about setting up housing options for families of patients at a local children's hospital. Where does a fun, odd, rewarding day like that come from, anyway?!?

** Speaking of the high schoolers, I have noticed, of late, that a lot of kids are, first of all, using the word "retarded" and, second, misspelling it. I see "retarted" a lot. If you insist on throwing that word around, I feel like it's one you really need to be able to spell correctly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"which my team one"
won?