Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chill Out, America!

Today, I learned that Americans are outraged about Burma*. I found this out from our own President George W. Bush, who relayed this information to the United Nations.

Burma?

Outraged?

Which Americans?**

In fairness, the President didn't actually say how many Americans, and if it's more than one, his statement was correct. However, in video of his address, obtained by the ZiggyBackRide staff, Bush makes it sound as though this outrage is rampant througout the Union.

I have long since given up on asking "what is he thinking" type questions, but I will take a moment to wonder what the President's staff thought would be gained by sending him into his highest profile address in some time to virtually ignore Iraq and to proclaim that Americans are outraged by what is happening in Burma. I was surprised that a roar of surprised and delighted laughter didn't erupt in the UN assembly when the President finished this statement. I would definitely have had to leave the room***. I do, however, look forward to seeing Jon Stewart's facial expression when the camera is back on him after this video is shown tonight.

* Also known as Myanmar. The US doesn't officially recognize that name.

**I'm sure there are some outraged Americans. As amazingly insane as it is that President Bush decided to represent this as a major concern of Americans before the UN, there is some ugly stuff going on in Burma. Americans would not be wrong to learn more and even decide they are, indeed, outraged. Currently, however, Burma appears way on down the list of items about which I, personally, am outraged. It is wedged in between the fact that no one seems to give Texas any chance of beating Oklahoma in football this year, and the fact that it is muggy today.

***Not out of disgust or protest, as the Cuban representative left, but so that my laughter, or my subsequently urine-filled pants, wouldn't disrupt the session.

1 comment:

JMA said...

You most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me.