Tuesday, June 05, 2007

12,000: Average or Above Average?

I'm reading a new book: The Average American: The extraordinary search for the nation's most ordinary citizen. (I'm pretty sure I got the title correct - It's kind of long.) Kevin O'Keefe is the author. I'm three chapters in and I like it a lot, so far. I think it's going to be a good one. I'll keep you posted.

Tomorrow night I hand over my tiara. 12-15 above average comedians will be competing for the coveted (by them, at least) title of "Funniest Person in Memphis," which I currently hold. It has been a magical year of funniestness and crowning a new champ will certainly be bittersweet. In answer to your question: No, I could not defend my title and repeat. It's a lot like Miss America that way, though I don't imagine the Miss America folks would be interested in the theory that these contests are similar in any way, whatsoever. In answer to your next question, I don't know if I can win again after taking a year off (a la Grover Cleveland, who was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States). I'll keep you posted.

We are almost at visitor 12,000. It has not been an easy road from 11,000 as I have been a bad blogger. Thanks for sticking with me and, as always, great prizes are promised to the lucky visitor, who can let me know his or her identity via the comment feature. Keep me posted.

No comments: