Monday, June 18, 2007

Heir Jordan

The title of this post does not refer to LeBron James, who may well be the next coming of a Jordan-type figure in the NBA. It refers, instead, to the new holder of the precious title of Funniest Person in Memphis. Mary Jordan, talented comedian and FOZ (friend of Ziggy), is now reigning supreme over the Bluff City's comedy scene. Since she is a she, however, I suppose I can continue to be the funniest man in Memphis, which is not a real title, but is what most people assumed was my title when I actually held the title. Got that?

The Funniest Person in Memphis finals was a great show, with 15 strong contestants. I hosted and, as the show neared its end, I realized that I had no idea who would win - that several comedians could take it. It was a tough competition and, watching, I was glad I won when I did! There are some very funny people in this city! The crowd was great and overflowing - some were turned away! I like to take credit for that, as I never saw such a comedy crowd before my reign began. I also like to take credit for it because if I don't take it, no one will give it to me, for I don't really deserve it. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.

During one exciting moment of the evening, I found myself in front of the standing room only crowd in my undies. Actually, in a tighter, briefier version of underwear than what I normally don, along with my Funniest Person... trophy around my neck as a Flav-style necklace. How this came to be is hard to explain here - I'll be happy to tell you more if you feel you must know - but it was funny. I don't anticipate it becoming a regular part of my act. So you can still come see me! I will try to post a picture (mercifully taken from afar) below, so you can have a sense of what we're dealing with here.

What a grand moment in my life and in the history of Memphis comedy.

No comments: