Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Some Crap-ass Crap PLUS G(r)eek

I paid over $3/gallon for gas last night. It's the first time I've ever done that. I managed to avoid it during the spike immediately following the hurricanes, and Memphis has stayed below that threshhold, despite national averages having long since eclipsed it (score one for Memphis). It hurts.

The NBA Draft Lottery also took place last night (Do not, under any circumstances, score one for Memphis!). Oh my lordy did the Grizzlies get hosed. The national media, however, seems unaware this morning that Memphis was even participating in the lottery. I am really only hearing about how Boston fell to pick number 5. I understand, of course, that the Grizzlies are not the Celtics, in terms of franchise fame and history, but I think it's worth noting that if that continues to be the case for a long time, it could, one day, be pinned on last night's crap-ass crap.

In other news, I am a Greek god. I graduated from my Greek class last Thursday (see post from last week) and cleaned up on Greek class awards! My friend and I shared an award for pronunciation and I earned the highest grade (118 out of 120) on the final exam/contest of anyone in both sections of the class. I won a decorative plate with a rendering of Poseidon (god of the seas) on it, a Greek statue (armless, of course) and a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, in addition to my diploma (suitable for framing). That's a lot of loot. I tell you this not to brag or spread word of my prowess for recreational language study, but simply to add to the huge pile of irrefutable evidence that my life is hilarious.

Kai eis anotera (And on to higher things)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

greek god, huh?

JMA said...

Love the link, glad to have you back in the blogosphere