Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Born Again

I feel reborn.

The truth is, however, I am just writing for the first time in a long time, but without ZiggyBackRide in my life, I wasn't really living. I'm sure you felt the same way. I'm back and I'm a blogger reborn, ready to regale you with tall tales of my experiences and observations. It's gonna be something to behold.

There should be plenty of material over the next few days as I participate in my first year of competition at the Memphis In May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. I'm part of a team called "Born in the Que-S-A." It should be a lot of fun. For those of you unfamiliar with this contest, it's known as the "Super Bowl of Swine." It is held in downtown Memphis (BBQ Capital of the World) on the banks of the Mississippi (the Lifeblood of America) with hundreds of teams competing and thousands of visitors from around the US and the world looking on, sampling, and living it up. Watch for it on all major media outlets this weekend. Al Roker, Martha Stewart, Bobby Flay, and other such stars of the small screen are frequent visitors.

Also this week, I will be graduating from Greek class. That's right, Greek class. I took Greek at our local Greek Orthodox church - an hour a week for fifteen weeks. The teacher was a highly entertaining retired priest that has long been a friend of my father and is well-known around the community. It was really fun and I learned a lot, highlighted by my new ability to say the Lord's Prayer in Greek! Thursday evening we'll know if I scored the highest on the optional final exam/contest. It would be quite a coup! Wish me luck.

I'll be writing regularly for the next little while, getting the Ride back on track and rewarding those committed visitors who've been waiting. Tune in often and enjoy!

3 comments:

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

Welcome back! I, for one, am certainly happy to be Riding again. Best of luck in the barbecue contest. Our non-pork-eating ancestors would obviously be bursting with pride. (You, on the other hand, will be bursting with pulled pork, which sounds much better!) Speaking of our ancestors, if I remember our family history correctly, the retired priest/Greek teacher is not only a longtime friend of our father's but I believe was also a friend of our grandfather's as well in Huntington, WV. And now you're his Greek student? What's next? Is he going to Bar/Bat Mitzvah our nieces and nephew?

Hope all else is going well!

ben said...

optional final exam? that's my kind of class. by the way, i like how your team spells it's name. it makes me thing of "born in the queso", which although i put in quotes, is not an actual quote or name of anything. though i do think it would be nice to have been born into a shallow vat of queso. quite an easy transition into this cruel world where people are actually NOT born into shallow vats of queso.