Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Football Makes You Think

I'm watching the FedEx Orange Bowl right now and the 2nd half just started. (Louisville leads Wake Forrest 10-3, at the moment.) During the halftime show, Taylor Hicks, your American Idol and mine, sang alongside the legendary Gladys Knight. I did not see any Pips, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.

I didn't love the performance, but I heard every word of it and I noticed the microphone that Taylor Hicks was holding. It made me think of the referee who, throughout the game, has to explain penalties, video reviews, and clock issues to the crowd and to officials in the pressbox. Earlier in the game, he was explaining a penalty and his mic went in and out and he couldn't really be understood. That is not uncommon at all. There are probably more games in which it happens than games in which it does not.

Why can't the official - who is making sure the game that everyone is there to see is played fairly and legally - use the same microphone that Taylor Hicks uses? Why on earth would there be two separate and completely unequal sound systems being employed at the same venue during the same event? The bowl game is the reason for the gathering. "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" is an excellent song, but has very little impact on the outcome of the contest. It would be helpful if I didn't have to count on the grapevine to hear what the ref is singing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we both know, Taylor Hicks may have been singing, but he was singing over a prerecorded sound track. Maybe if the referees prerecorded penalty explanations, you wouldn't miss them. Just a thought...I will bring it up at the next NCAA board meeting.

Anonymous said...

I'm visitor number 10,500!

For what it's worth. Which, I suppose, is near about nothing at all.