Wednesday, November 08, 2006

An Electoral Reflectoral

Big times in American politics! A "thumpin'" was handed out by voters as the Democratic Party (or, as President Bush- likely recalling the same vocabulary lessons during which he learned the word nucular - calls it, the Democrat Party) took control of the U.S. House of Representatives and, evidently, the Senate. In general, the political team here at Ziggybackride is pleased with the outcome. The results in Tennessee, the 'ride's home state, leave a great deal to be desired, though.

Even as the rest of the country saw shifts in voters' choices and, often, in the parties that hold various seats, my state refused to participate. We passed over a dynamic, capable, young political star, instead filling a vacant Senate seat with a man I fear will be a mediocre defendant of the status quo. I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't happen often.

Receiving much less press than the Senate race, but striking me as much more troubling and embarrassing was the state vote on an amendment to "defend marriage." I was surprised, going into election day, that I had not seen more of a campaign on both sides of this proposal to ban gay marriage here and to void any such marriage allowed by another state. As the numbers came back, it became clear why there had been no campaign. It was a landslide of disturbing proportions, as the amendment passed by about a 4 to 1 margin.

Imagine how excited I am to know that if I should choose to marry here one day, my marriage will be safe - nobly and ably defended by the Great State of Tennessee. I would hate to have entered into a holy union without full knowledge that the state would be a key player. Now I can rest easy!

Shame on my fellow citizens who voted in favor of this amendment, no matter the reason for their vote. Whether the reason was outright bigotry and homophobia, or a lack of faith in the institution of marriage (which, as I understand it, has been around since even before this state), or simply the misguided notion that state government is where such things are sanctified, the amendment and the support that it received are shameful. Shameful, too, is the fact that state legislators, working on my behalf, spent time, effort, and public resources to ensure that this prejudicial nonsense appeared on the ballot.

While all of the attention is on numbers of seats and the immediate future in a different political landscape, I believe (and fear) that the criteria by which we will be judged now and in the future, and with which we define our character as a society includes, far more prominently than numerical facts, the statements we make on issues like this one. I hope this is us at our lowest.

Election day is over, but our job is not done. We've hired our public servants for the coming years, but we must be diligent supervisors. We must be aware of what our employees in Washington are doing on our time and on our dime. We need them to be good and they need us to show them how. Get to work, America.

No comments: