Friday, September 22, 2006

In Good Company

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Jokes has been released. It's out there, Jerry, and it's lllovin' every minute of it! The book, from Penguin Press and edited by Larry Getlen, contains jokes and tips on humor from many, many comedians and I'm proud to be one of them.

Sometime last year, I received a notice about submitting jokes for this project, so I sent in a list. Several months later, it occurred to me that I had not heard anything and I assumed either the book was no longer forthcoming or that my material had not been selected. Days later, I received an email telling me that both of my assumptions were wrong.

That was all the info I got, though, save the release date and some ideas for promoting the book upon its arrival. I didn't know which of my submissions, or how many of them, had been selected. Finally, I know and, oddly, the two that were selected are two of my only jokes that contain profanity. My stuff had to be c*&sored! I'm in there with all these other
comed#%ns* whom I have heard tell some of the raunchiest, most offensive (yet still funny) jokes ever, and I look like the dirty one!

Speaking of the other comedians, though, each submitting comic has a little bio in the back of the book. Mine** is wedged right in between Rodney Dangerfield and Ellen DeGeneres. I can live with that! Of course it just because they are in alphabetical order, but still!

There's a lot of funny stuff in the b$^k and I recommend checking it out.

* Each of my submissions contains a word in which symbols had to be substituted for letters. I've always loved the idea that that makes the word cleaner. Like it's not the meaning and intent that makes a word bad, it's just the letters and their order within the word that people find offensive!

** My bio contains the address of this site, too, so let's get ready to welcome some new folks onto the 'Ride!

2 comments:

Rachiley said...

excellent, i will have to check it out. is the book short jokes or snipets from your act?

Beth said...

rock on! that's awesome.