Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

I had trouble sleeping last night. I considered staying up to see if I could see a jolly bringer of gifts and good-tidings, or maybe leaving out a plate of cookies. In the end, though, two realities won out. 1) I'm Jewish; and 2) Santa Claus has nothing to do with the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. March Madness. The field of 64. The Road to the Final Four. It starts today and it's beautiful. Every single year, it's beautiful. Today and tomorrow are the best two days of the tournament, in my opinion. So many great games will be played in the next 40 hours and this is the time when upsets are fun. Many people are always rooting for underdogs, but I find that as the tournament wears on, I want the best teams from the season to be playing. I like when the championship represents the season. I'll be happy, for instance, if Duke plays UConn or, I suppose I could find a silver lining if Memphis were to play Texas in the Final Four and one of those teams advanced to the championship game. I jest, of course. Nothing (that could happen in the tourney) would make me happier than to see my two favorite teams make it to Indianapolis to face each other. Good luck to the Tigers and the Longhorns!

In related news, Zina, a regular reader has asked me for a list of my favorite sports movies. Ziggybackride is not a blog known for its lists, but I like this idea and have begun thinking. Several movies, including Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, and Rocky IV (absolutely not the fifth one) came quickly to mind. Caddyshack, Hoosiers, Wildcats, Remember the Titans, Breaking Away, and The Natural occurred to me, as well. I shall work on this list and I shall publish it soon at this very web address. Please use the comment feature to make a case for your favorite(s), and enjoy the tournament.

It's approximately 3 weeks, 4 days, and 12 hours until "One Shining Moment."

8 comments:

Joey Lazarus said...

I would go with (in no particular order):
* Major League
* Field Dreams
* Bull Durham
* Rudy
* Rocky IV
* Kingpin
* White Men Can't Jump

Anonymous said...

I feel that you left out some greats on your "top of the head" list:

Field of Dreams (hello!?)
Rudy (again, hello!?)
Pride of the Yankees (come on, BABE RUTH is in it!)
And I guess this one is more my generation but...THE SANDLOT. C'mon.

Also, you know they're making another Rocky, right? With Sly and everything. How old is he!?

Julie said...

But Milo SomethingUnpronounceable (Jess from Gilmore Girls)is going to play Rocky's son, and he is incredibly hot, so it doesn't really matter if Stalone is older than dirt.
And maybe I'm just a feminazi, but you forgot A League of Their Own; and I concur with Sarah--The Sandlot is a must

Anonymous said...

I think ESPN has done either a Who's #1 show or some other ranking of top sports movie ever. Would be interesting to compare their list to yours, Joey's, Sarah W.'s, and Julie's.

Got some additons from the hockey and running genres too:
-Slapshot
-Miracle
-Four Minutes (do ESPN made-for-TV movies count?)

Julie said...

And how could we forget Cool Runnings?! A true classic

Anonymous said...

My list:
2006 Rose Bowl DVD
2005 Rose Bowl DVD
Live The Dream Season Highlight DVD
Faith Rewarded: The Story of the 2004 Boston Red Sox
and finally, Field of Dreams

Anonymous said...

field of dreams was AMAZING. i love it. i think i cried at the end. it was beautiful and this is coming from someone who hates baseball. oh and a league of their own is great too. cool runnings is hysterical. and no one put coach carter, which is sad b/c it's based on a true story.

ps i feel so loved!

ben said...

i got to this a little late, but i agree with the myriad folks who recommended field of dreams for that list. i also think tin cup could probably make it, as well as the big lebowski.