Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Day Began So Nicely

It was a pretty day in Memphis, Tennessee. I was all gussied up for the Bar Mitzvah of a kid I know and like - it was a lovely ceremony. I visited with my aunt and uncle after a nice lunch. I was still basking in the glow of two fun and successful comedy performances the last two nights. Yes, it was shaping up to be quite a nice little Saturday, actually. I thought maybe I would go to Home Depot. Maybe Bed Bath & Beyond. I didn't know if there'd be time.*

And now? It's still pretty nice, but the season is over for my two favorite college basketball teams, and my visions of the remainder of March Madness are lacking luster... at best. The Memphis Tigers just fell to UCLA in a performance that I only wish I could describe as uneven. Unfortunately, it was exceedingly even. For the final 38 minutes of the 40 minute game, the Tigers were consistent in shooting themselves in the foot. There were missed layups, missed free throws, turnovers, and fouls-a-plenty, but very few points. It was sad. That, of course, was the second game of a double-header that began with Texas playing rather poorly and losing (see last post).

Wish me luck on reversing the downward spiral of this day as it turns into night.

* For the uninformed, the shopping parts were from "Old School." For the really uninformed, "Old School" is a great movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I wanted was a t-shirt that said "Texas Trifecta" on it, or something to that extent. Can Women's Track and Field be the third leg or must it be basketball?

Anonymous said...

i was watching the end of the texas game and i thought of you. and then the tigers lost and i thought of you again. i def know what you're going through.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mr. Asher. Is it wrong that I secretly thought of the clever shirts the CoOp would undoubtedly produce? I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about that game. But hey, two national championships and an elite eight appearance is not too shabby.

TEXAS FIGHT.