Thursday, December 15, 2005

Horns vs. Holy Land (or Roses vs. Moses, if you prefer)

I'm going to Israel. For free!

That's great, right? Yes, it is great. HOWEVER...

It means I'll be there when my beloved Texas Longhorns play for the football national championship in the Rose Bowl. (Those who are not football fans can stop reading here. You will not respect the dilemma that is explained below.) When I got the invitation to staff this Israel tour for college students I was excited, but when they told me the dates of it, I was hesitant, as it would mean missing the Rose Bowl, a game about which I have dreamed for a long time. As I considered the options, though, a free pilgrimage to the Holy Land was surely the obvious choice (plus I was assured by friends who'd made similar trips that I could catch the game in the middle of the night on ESPN Europe over there) so I accepted.

The only problem would be if, somehow, my trip wasn't in a city where I could easily get to a tv in the middle of the night on the day of the game. I just got my itinerary. 7 of the 9 nights of the trip will be spent in hotels in and around Jerusalem and Tel Aviv- major cities for those unfamiliar with Israel - so it's looking good. So, where will I be the night of January 4th, the night the Texas Longhorns battle for their desired and deserved place in college football history? Spending the night in... wait, what's this? A Bedouin camp near the desert town of Arad? Oh, my dear Lord. I'm no expert on Bedouin camps, but... NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've got to go figure out how to see this game. Good bye and good luck, and, of course, Hook 'em!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta admit, this is pretty bad. Yes, the trip is exciting, but playing for the national championship, ugh. I'm failing to find an English-version, Israeli equivalent of an online yellow pages for Arad in order to locate something akin to a bar/sports bar for you. There is a mall, so where there's a mall, perhaps there's hope. I also turned up this doozy in the Wikipedia entry on Arad: "While it isn't customary for Israeli cities to have major unique laws, many cities have minor laws. In Arad, it is illegal to feed animals in public places." I'm sure there's a message in this law, but I'm not sure what it is.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to freak you out here but last year we were at a Kibbutz in Eilat when Texas beat Michigan but eve n thought it was a city and whatnot we were not able to watch the game. However, we did manage to get some of it on a radio...
Hook 'Em.

ben said...

zig, that's tough man. i'm gonna tivo the game, as well as the pre-game, and the post-game, and i'm gonna find a way to burn it onto a dvd (assuming we win. if we lose, i'm deleting it immediately.), so i'll send you a copy once i get that figured out.

fly safe. enjoy the coffee. bedouins make good coffee.