Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bombs Away!

It happened. Ohhhh, did it happen!

I just got home from a comedy performance at the South Street Comedy Club in Jackson, TN. Actually, I just got home from watching a video of my performance earlier in the night at a fellow comedian's house before calling it a night. I can't possibly call it a night too soon.

When conversation turns to my stand-up comedy, people always ask me if I've ever bombed and, while I've certainly given some performances that have been worse than others, I've always been able to honestly answer "no." That, my friends, is no longer the case! Tonight, I bombed, and I did so in grand fashion. There was actual silence after jokes in a very full club (maybe 150 ppl). It was a sad, yet hilarious experience that actually had me wondering afterward whether I had, at any point during my set, been speaking a language other than English, which would have been a fine explanation for the lack of response to a great many things - which regularly elicit hearty laughs - that I said.

Why, oh why did you bomb, Michael? Bad audience? No. They were great. They laughed their asses off the rest of the night. Bad jokes? I don't think so. They have all gone over very successfully at other clubs on other nights. So? I really don't know, but as I mentioned, I just watched the video (which indicated quite clearly that I spoke only English the whole time) and it's failure in its most splendid form. It will make a fine story when I'm famous. Oh, and it will make a fine story tomorrow, too.

In other, related news, my friends who performed were great tonight! It was really fun to watch. Have a good night!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Aww, we still think you're funny...

SurlyGirl said...

Hi, floated in here somehow. Oh, the seasickness. Anyhoo, I'm sure you did fine... and I think we briefly met at the Hunt-Phelan home doing the Russell movie. Where'd you go, anyway? Sean called and said it's premiering next month; I'm sure he called you too. Or not. Whichever. If you're the person I think you are, you may want to check out my blog, as I have some questions you may be able to answer, non-comedy related...

Anonymous said...

Man that is just the nature of south street. I have had tons of shows like that there. You can do the same show that kills in other cities and get to south street, do the same set and just have them stare in silence. Consider it a whiff and the plate and start looking for the next pitch, metaphorically speaking of course.
marks, john

Anonymous said...

I think you are a fantastic writer. You should keep a collection to publish when you are rich and famous. I finally remembered your blog name - whoa for getting older!!

ssh

Anonymous said...

It wasn't that bad, danziger...I am sorry my dear brother. I can not lie. It was the most amazingly, unbeleivable, sad moments...yet hillarious moments I have ever partaked in. Your stuf was pure ziggy. But they were a crowd that probably wouldn't have found sienfeld funny. although they seem to like dick and fart jokes.
shawn