Monday, December 26, 2005

Apples and Honey

Once again, I find myself writing to you from the C Concourse of Memphis International Airport. I am sitting, enjoying the public safety announcements (I aspire to be the airport announcement voice one day, now that TEX – the Telephone Enrollment eXchange of The University of Texas at Austin – no longer exists), waiting for my flight to the Big Apple, where I will be for the next several days until I leave for the Land of Milk and Honey (Israel). I’m sorry it has been so long, but I have been busy with trip preparations, holiday celebrations, and magical incantations. Okay, the last one’s not true, but I felt a third rhyming member of the list was called for.

I hope your Christmas/Hannukah/Kwaanza/lack of holiday is/was great/non-existant. How’s that for holiday greetings! Of course those who have been boycotting and protesting retailers that do not use the word “Christmas” enough would not approve. I don’t get that. I understand that religious people want their holiday to be as meaningful as possible, but is granting that wish really up to Wal-Mart? Is Target America’s new church? If so, I think the “old” churches will be rather shocked and dismayed to hear it!

In my mind, those who hold America’s retailers responsible for the holiness of Christmas are very much like those supporters of Israel who seem to be holding Steven Spielberg and his new movie, Munich, completely responsible for Israel’s national well-being and the way it is viewed by the world. I saw the movie. It is good and (not sure if I mentioned this) it is a movie. I love Israel and can’t wait to get there, but if it is depending on Hollywood to serve as its Department of State, something has gone terribly awry.

Okay, I think that’s it from here. I’m going back to the public safety announcements (that guy is so cool!), but I think I’m going to skip the early morning barbecue that I’ve enjoyed here before long trips in the past. All the more reason I shall be excited to return.

No comments: