Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Your Auto: Liberal or Conservative?

Recently, I was in traffic behind a small Subaru wagon that was adorned with an Obama '08 bumper sticker. It occurred to me, then and there, that Subaru seems to be a decidedly Democratic car. I thought through the Subaru owners that I know and their political leanings all fell into 3 of 5 categories that I quickly created at a stoplight.

1) Regular/Frequent Democratic voter
2) I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say regular/frequent Democratic voter
3) I really don't know
4) I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say regular/frequent Republican voter
5) Regular/Frequent Republican voter.

Every single Subaru owner I know fell into either category 1, 2, or 3, with several in category 1. It is important that share with you, at this point, that the total number of owners I could come up with was about 10 - a rather small chunk of the electorate. A small chunk, yes, but an undeniable correlation between party and car. I tried to think of any other car maker that I could connect so closely with a political party. I thought through luxury car makers and the Republican party, but I could name Democrats that drive them all.

It's probably too late for this election cycle, but it seems quite clear that the Democratic party must forge partnerships with Subaru and Subaru dealers to get more Americans in those vehicles. Perhaps Democratic National Committee dollars could be utilized as subsidies for those wishing to purchase Subarus. For the DNC, it would be an investment in practically guaranteeing future votes.

I did a very quick internet search for "Subaru Democrat" and did find this article, which confirms Subaru, and a couple of other makes as having been decidedly Democrat in 2004, and Porsche as a car whose owners overwhelmingly supported George Bush that year. It also mentions some other proclivities of voters, including hobbies, and all I can say is Democrats watch some crap TV!*


* They, like everyone else, should be tuning in to see Texas Longhorns football games like the one played last weekend that propelled the 'Horns to #1 in all the land!
.

No comments: