Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Rebuttals, Realignments, Rivalries, and Repentance

Note: This post will be conveniently divided by the respective "R" words above so you can easily access the R-topic that most interests you (though I wholeheaRtedly Recommend Reading all fouR).

R1: I have decided I don't care for the Presidential debates. Even the most casual of ZiggyBackRiders will know that I am very interested in the election and the political process, but I really believe that no purpose is served by these little get-togethers. The candidates just break their stump speeches into little answer-sized pieces (though actually slightly larger than answer-sized, as they continually exceed the agreed upon time limits) and deliver them in response to whatever question seems to come closest to broaching the appropriate speech piece. They also engage in a great deal of pettiness in hopes of looking better in a side-by-side comparison. Last night, I learned nothing new. The only interesting part was thinking about how I would have anwered the final question: "What don't you know and how will you go about learning it?" Perhaps I'll address that in a future post. Or maybe I'll finally write that list of my favorite sports movies, which I've promised to Zina, David, and others for about three years now! That brings us to...

R2: I'd like to take this opportunity to invite/encourage all Chicago Cubs fans to realign themselves with the New York Yankees. Here's why. The Cubs have broken your hearts again. Again! I would never encourage you to return to a lover or a business associate who had scorned or cheated you so many times and I can not, in good conscience, let you think it's okay going on believing that the Cubs will win you a championship one day. The Cubs are just wrong for you - plain and simple. I've always thought of them as somewhat similar to the Yankees, though - aside from the winning, of course - in that they are a classic team with a national following, a colorful history, and a landmark stadium. So, it's not that big a switch, really - aside from the winning, of course. And while I don't think sports fans should be casual about switching alliances, I think it's always okay to like the Yankees. They are baseball history and they are America. They are pinstripes and pride, legends and lore. Their story is every baseball fan's story. They can be your team. And you, Cubs fan... you, too can know what it's like to be with a team that cares about you. Welcome aboard!

R3: Texas vs. Oklahoma! This Saturday! Two undefeated teams! Both ranked in the top 5! Red River Rivalry! History! Heisman candidates! College Gameday! Big Tex! Bevo! Baked Cheetos! National Champi...No! I dare not!

I'm excited. A little.

R4: Yom Kippur, the Day of Repentance, begins tonight at sundown. May you who are observing have an easy fast and a meaningful day, may you find it easy to forgive and to feel forgiven, and may you emerge from this holy day ready to be better and do better, ready to live the life - and build the world - of your dreams.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ziggybackride.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

If you are searching to lessen the sodium content of the meals you make, go on a very careful evaluate your spice rack. Numerous ready spices or herbs are remarkably rich in salt, whether or not they use a salty taste. As well as, prevent introducing typical sodium. Turn to herbal plants and less difficult seasoning to incorporate flavoring without having salt. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Matrimo5656[/url]

Anonymous said...

An incredible idea that will help you escape a bad time blue's would be to watch your preferred film. Seeing a motion picture that you like can place you in a much better mood. It'll get your brain off from what's troubling you and you'll have the ability to reflect on it in the future. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Biuyu656gy[/url]