Tuesday, November 20, 2007

November/December Rush

So begins a year-end onslaught of ZiggyBackRide posts. Break's over!

I saw August Rush the other night at a Memphis sneak preview showing. The trailer and commercials made it look like it was going to be a good movie. Several times during the film, itself, it looked as though it was about to get good.

It did not.

Just like when I saw The Village a couple of years ago, I couldn't stop laughing at the end. Just like The Village, August Rush is not a comedy. While I was laughing, I was worried that the others in my party (they were girls) were enjoying it and would be offended by my insensitivity.

They were not, and they were not, respectively (and, considering we all agreed on the movie, I was not. Got that?).

There was some decent music, there were good looking actors/actresses, there was a cute little kid in a supporting role. There were touching themes and moments, and a few humorous lines. Otherwise, it was crap. No part of the story was believable. Evidently, one Hollywood writer went on strike a little early.*

I just saw a commercial that quotes some reviewer as having said, "Audiences will stand and cheer." I don't recommend seeing this movie, but if you do, please let me know (via the comment feature)if the audience stands and cheers. Then, I will laugh again.

* It might have been two or three writers. However many wrote the movie, that's how many struck early, okay?

1 comment:

Rachiley said...

i concur. i so desperately wanted to have a crying moment. but i was laughing so hard at the end by the stupid head nod. august rush was a total flush of my hard earned cash...