Friday, February 02, 2007

Cool Nerdiness and Counters

It snowed in Memphis last night. Memphis, TN is a winter wonderland. There's a nice powder - maybe 2 inches worth - on cars and grass, with a light residue of snow on some streets. Yes, and here's where it gets funny for our northern friends, all the schools are cancelled. Today is a day when you can tell who has a garage and who doesn't. I am a "has not" on that one and, as such, my car is still wearing a yarmulke (a Jewish skullcap) of snow. I discovered, as I was driving through it last night, that when large flakes of snow are falling at night, if you turn your brights on while driving through it, it looks like you are in an old space movie - Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. - and you just went into hyperdrive and all the stars are flying past. It's pretty nerdy and, of course, in inclement weather more than ever, the car is not a toy. Please do not endanger yourself in order to confirm my observation. Take my word for it.

You know how I always like to keep an eye on the visitor counter for this site? I alert you when we are nearing milestone visitor numbers like 10,000 (see "Myria Madness" post from a couple months ago). Yes, indeed! I do love to watch a visitor counter. However, you may not know that I do not only watch them on my own site. I like to keep tabs on others, as well, and I want to let you know that a huge milestone is approaching for one of my favorite sites on the internet. The Hungersite (www.thehungersite.com) allows visitors to click daily and for each unique visitor's click, sponsors donate 1.1 cup of staple foods to someone in need through organizations like America's Second Harvest. So, to recap, it doesn't cost a visitor anything, but a click to give food to the hungry. Excellent! They even have a store where they sell fair trade goods, jewelry, clothing, etc. A lot of the stuff makes great gifts and for each purchase, more food gets donated. I visit daily and I hope you will, too. Especially right now, because The Hungersite is nearing 500,000,000th click! It could be you. If it's not, keep clicking anyway!

No comments: