Sunday, February 11, 2007

The 24 Funniest Months in the History of My Whole Life

Today is the 2nd anniversary of my first stand-up comedy performance and what a glorious first two years it has been. I estimate that I have performed around 100 times since then. Maybe more, maybe less. I'm a comedian, not a mathematician. Jeez! Chill out.

It has certainly been an exciting ride. From the first five minutes at Paddy's Pub two years ago to New York, and Cairo, IL with the Municipal Gas Operators Safety Association Number 3 to the title of "Funniest Person in Memphis," and being published in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Jokes, it has been thrilling.

It has also been interesting and funny living life as a comedian. Interactions with people change instantaneously when they learn my dirty little secret (the fact that I'm a comic, of course!). Either they clam up, nervous that I will use the contents of our conversation to embarrass them at my next show, or they look at me expectantly, waiting for the funniness (which I am, of course, saving for the stage). When they don't get it, they leave thinking, "Huh, he didn't seem like a comedian. Remind me to not go see him." My favorite reaction, I think, is when people do want me to use them in my show. "You can make fun of me!" they tell me. Or, after regaling me with (what are usually hideously long-winded, boring) stories, they end them with, "You can use that if you want!" In these two short years, I have yet to "want." But to those people (none of whom ever read this. This site's readers are, at all times, concise and entertaining in their storytelling.), I do wish to say thank you, anyway. I appreciate your support and your offers of help.

Stick with me for year 3. I look forward to sharing it with you. Just don't expect me to be funny. It's for the stage, remember?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. i haven't talked to you in forever.
2. you said 9 to 5 would be funny. it wasn't. i'm disappointed.
3. i'm really excited for purimspiel this year. mostly b/c it's west side story.

Anonymous said...

this post reminded me of the Seinfeld episode with Kathy Griffin using Jerry as her act.