Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Human Dichotomy

It seems to me that there are two kinds of people in the world. ("Hmmm," you must be thinking to yourself. "Into what two groups has Michael divided the members of the human race? What has he identified as the crucial criterion in determining the nature of a person? I'll bet it is something really interesting and thought-provoking." You are wrong.)

There are those who think that the Hummer is a vehicle that is cool and that somehow makes sense.

And there are those who can barely contain their disbelief at the idea that a company makes these and that people buy them as their cars.

I am not afraid to admit to you that I am a part of the 2nd group. It actually causes me a slight physical pain each time I see one as I try to decide whether to laugh at the tremendous vehicle, yell at its driver, or avoid the motorized behemoth because it is wider than the lane it's in. In the end, I usually settle on some combination of those that includes the avoidance option. That seems smart.

What kind of person are you? Don't hesitate to let us all know using the comment feature.
I am quite pleased by the recent flood (relatively, it's a flood, so back off!) of comments. And please don't think that it's not okay to say you're a member of the first group. For without that group, who would make the rest of us look smart?

4 comments:

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff said...

Sorry for abandoned comment attempt above. Speaking of Hummer limos, click here to see a hilarious use of one as a prop in the fake news report called Grand Heft Auto. That said, I like Hummers. Maybe it's because I have to drive near a high school parking lot every day, but the idea of an indestructible car is appealing.

Anonymous said...

First off, that's not me, that's a non-me (Jeff Asher). Second, I think I'll say I'm in the first group because somebody's gotta represent them. If we didn't have Hummer's, what would people who need to make up for something drive?

ben said...

I think Hummers are pretty ridiculous as well, however, have you seen that new H3 commercial that's a take-off on Goldilocks and the Three Bears?? Somewhere Jen Marlowe is smiling.

And, who is this Rachel person who lives in LA?? Is it someone I know??