Sunday, September 25, 2005

Heaven With Commercials

Mornin'! Just home from my Jewish men's basketball league game. Fun as always. Funny as always. But we're 3-0 and I expect nothing less than a championship. Stay tuned.

Speaking of stay tuned, I have been seeing commercials on AMC for their Movies With TV People marathon beginning this afternoon. The commercials, themselves, might be my favorite thing I've ever seen on television. Apparently, this marathon includes Fletch, Tommy Boy, and Blues Brothers - three of my all-time favorites, each of which I have easily seen scores of times. Here's the thing, though. I own all these movies. I have them on VHS or DVD* and can watch them anytime I want - sans commercials, nonetheless. I rarely do. However, now I see that they will be shown on TV and I find myself hoping I'll be home to watch them - with commercials, mind you**. There's just something about an announced showtime and the knowledge that others are watching at the same time that makes it more desirable to watch.

So now I ask a question that I believe we are all-too-often afraid to ask when we confound ourselves in life. Am I alone? Does this happen to others? Or am I alone in this cold, hard world as a man who watches the movies I love on someone else's terms when I have the ability and freedom to enjoy them at my own leisure (pronounced leh-zhure)?

* All of my movies are on VHS or DVD, but I'm seeing advertisements now for new movie releases on "UMD for PSP." What the hell is PSP?!? If I have to buy a new piece of equipment on which to play movies in the next 2 years, I will be... outraged. Absolutely outraged. (Okay, I'm sorry. Sorry I flew off the handle. Sorry you had to see me that way.)

** I don't have Tivo, so don't comment telling me to compromise by watching while they're on, but skip the commercials. I don't want to hear it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't necessarily make it a point to watch a movie I own/a favorite movie when there's a scheduled time on tv. However, if I am flipping the channels and I come across one of these movies I will stop to watch. That being said, I get a little annoyed and/or angry if it's past a part that I really enjoy. Isn't that silly? I could just pop in the dvd and watch it if I really wanted. Do you know what I mean? Say, for instance, you see that Tommy Boy is on but are horrified to realized that the part where Tommy lights the cars on fire in the guy's office has just happened and...YOU MISSED IT! Man, that sucks.

Michael "Ziggy" Danziger said...

I'm having trouble with the bonsai guy's comment. Is he saying my blog is good ONLY if I own or am looking to buy a bonsai? I will not try to hide my disappointment at the poor punctuation of this fellow at the nursery, nor at the apparently conditional nature of his enjoyment of "the ride."

Finally, while car insurance does have some relevance to our lives, I cannot defend bonsai. Ridiculous!

Gotta go. Fletch is starting.

Anonymous said...

PSP=Play Station Personal, dude

ben said...

BONSAI!!!

i am with you, on some movies. not all. the worst example (and i mean that in every sense of the word) is "you've got mail." every time i see that movie on tv, i am compelled to drop what i am doing and watch it until tom hanks kisses meg ryan in riverside park.

say what you will, at least i'm being honest with myself and others.

Stacy said...

Okay, most of the time those stupid "anonymous" posts annoy me, but I actually find myself giggling at 5am. It makes me want to read all the comment sections just to read the responses to the anonymous posts.

Michael "Ziggy" Danziger said...

Thanks for visiting, Stacy. Glad you're enjoying. GO TO SLEEP!

Stacy said...

I had just woke up! Why would I go to sleep.

signs of aging:
1. instead of going to bed at 5am you're waking up.