Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Season For Loving (IV)

Well, yesterday was Valentine's Day. I hope you had a lovely one! What follows is the final installment of the wildly popular "The Season For Loving" series that has been appearing here in this... well... season for loving. I hope you enjoy it!

Today's Topic: The Shape of My Heart

First of all, yes. I did use a Backstreet Boys song title as today's topic. It's not because I love boy bands. It fits, so BACK OFF!

How did the heart shape that we use to represent love and romance come to be accepted as heart-shaped? You know what I’m talking about? The Valentine’s Day heart (or VDH, as it will henceforth be referred to) looks very little like an actual heart. The resemblance is almost undetectable. So how did the VDH become the way our society pictures the heart? It’s especially funny, I think, because we talk about the heart being the home of our truest feelings.

Oh sure! But try to be truthful about what the heart looks like and it’s, “No! Don’t be silly! That’s not what our hearts look like! What is that, a ventricle? You’re crazy, man. I like you, but you’re… you’re crazy.”

I think there’d be whole new feel to modern romance and Valentine’s Day if we went back to using the real heart. What an image – little baby cupid firing one of his legendary arrows right through the aorta. Valves all aflutter as blood is pumped through that special someone’s cardiovascular system nearby. That’s romance, baby!

It's unlikely, but some of you may recognize this post from the cabinprayers site that I share with friends. But I wrote it, so I'll use it wherever I please, thank you!

No comments: