Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Hump Day...

Happy Wednesday, Riders! I hope your week is treating you well. Mine has been lovely. Participated this past weekend in a yearly canoe trip with friends. Please use the link to the "cabinprayers" blog for more information on that, plus pictures. It was fun, as always, though. I got to visit the camp I spent all of my childhood summers at for a little while on Sunday morning. That was fun. I'm going back there this weekend for a week. That's how I know I have a good life. I still get to go to camp in the summer. Now, one day, if this keeps up, I may well be saying, "That's how I know my life sucks. I still have to go to camp in the summer." But for now (and the foreseeable future) it's a good thing. I just had lunch with a good friend who's going to London for most of the rest of the summer on a study program. That's something to envy. I love my Mississippi camp, but London could be nice, too. Wait, I have babbled myself into a state of sidetrackedness! Back to business...

The title of this post refers partly to this middle day of the work week, but also to an annoyance that is growing more and more widespread in my community (and, I suspect, in others). On my way back from lunch, I passed through a neigborhood that has chosen to install its own speedbumps. Not on a private drive, mind you, but a very public street. I'm seeing this more and more often, especially, of course, in more upscale neighborhoods. What the hell?!? The speed limit is 35 mph, but you can't go over the bumps at much more than 25 without destroying your (pimped out) ride. I understand that, perhaps, people were speeding through the neighborhood. Okay, fine. So put speedbumps in that require you to go no more than the speed limit. Who told these people that they could just put these out there, anyway? Did they even ask anyone? Maybe it's for my own protection. Maybe these are the same people that are blowing their debris out into the street (see post entitled "Blown Away") and they're trying to help me successfully navigate their trash by slowing me down. Thanks, but no thanks. Throw your trash away and let me drive in peace. At or near the speed limit. Damn it.

P.S. - Have a nice day!

No comments: