Friday, January 20, 2006

Product Of An Atrophying Mind

Question of the Day
(our first in a long while)

Why do hospitals have religions?

Know what I mean? No? In my city, the two major hospitals (other than St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, of which we are very proud) are Baptist Memorial Hospital and Methodist Hospital. I was out of town recently and passed by a Jewish Hospital. Jewish hospital? I'm Jewish! I wanted to stop and talk, and see if the hospital knew any of the same people I know. (It's a little game we Jews play - Jewish Geography. Playing successfully is our favorite way to prove we're genuine Jews to other members of our faith family upon whom we happen.)

Back to the question, though. Why the denominations? As far as I know, all of these hospitals will treat anyone that comes in (provided they have insurance or money, but that's a question for a different day). The doctors come from various religious backgrounds (except maybe at the Jewish hospital). It all just seems so incredibly arbitrary. If it made sense to have your faith's name on a hospital, wouldn't it also have made sense to have pharmacies and other steps in the medical process. Geez, I hope I don't start a big war amongst the religions as they all try to convert Walgreens, CVS, Duane Reade, and others.

Alright, I was just interrupted by a phone call from regular reader, Sarah W., who informs me that Texas Longhorns National Championship commemorative Coke cans are on sale in Austin. My excitement over what I like to call "America in liquid form" being sold in Longhorns packaging has ended any hope of my exploring our question of the day any further. I have got to get to Texas immediately, if not sooner, and get me some of that!

According to blogger.com, this is the 99th post on Ziggybackride. Check back soon for our Centennial Celebration. It's going to be awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After returning home from HEB I immediately checked the ride of my life to see what the entry you mentioned on the phone dealt with. Interesting question you posed...But more importantly, I've been Googling and searching for a photo of aforementioned Coke can but I could only find this article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060105/1211013.html?.v=4