Sunday, January 22, 2006

Best Year Ever?

The pirates are back!

The Steelers are back!

Sounds like a big day for Pittsburgh, right? Well it is, but only because of the Steelers, my Steelers, who are champions of the American Football Conference and who will play in Super Bowl XL (that's 40, not extra large) on February 5th. This, mind you, comes less than three weeks after the Texas Longhorns, my Longhorns, won College Football's national championship. In addition, my two favorite college basketball teams - the Memphis Tigers and Texas - are ranked 4th and 5th, respectively, in the nation, and may move higher when new polls are released tonight. The Texas Baseball team is a threat to repeat as champions of the College World Series and the New York Yankees, my favorite professional baseball team, have added to their already ridiculous collection of talent and have an excellent chance to be playing come October of this year. To top it all off, the Temple Israel Lady Rabs, whom I coach, are preparing to start season number two, reloaded and ready to make a run at a championship against the high school girls of the other Jewish organizations of Memphis. So....

Is this the best sports year ever? It has potential. Of course, if you don't happen to like all of the teams that I like, it probably doesn't seem as great to you. That'll teach you to like other teams!

In other news, pirates are in the news again. Pirates!!! In 2006! See the ziggybackride archives for November of 2005 for a previous unlikely pirate appearance and see this article:
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060122120809990005&ncid=NWS00010000000001
for current swashbuckling goings-on. Those who watched Saturday Night Live last night and/or have seen my comedy act recently and/or watched the movie, Dodgeball, will find it painfully obvious that pirates are back and a real force in our world. Spectacular!

The content of this post was too important to preempt in favor of the ZiggybackPride Centennial Celebration originally slated for this 100th post. Don't fret. It's coming. Seriously. Don't fret.

2 comments:

The Central Standards said...

Have we never talked about the Steelers connection, or am I just being dense again?! Don't answer that.

Doesn't matter, 'cuz I'm a huge fan of the black and gold myself! Was born and raised (until the age of 8) in the 'burgh. I was around for the second pair of championship years, but the memory is pretty fuzzy.

Look forward to cheering them to victory with you at The Ritz!

Jay-C

Anonymous said...

I too am actually a Steelers fan. My mom's side of the family is from Morgantown, WV so I've always considered the Steelers my second favorite team. Also, remember when we won the national championship in the greatest game ever played? That was awesome.