Monday, January 24, 2005

The Chosen Sport of the Chosen People

Well, it's basketball time! I mean not only that the basketball season is fully upon us, but also, quite literally, that it's time to go play the game tonight. As I mentioned in my last post, the Temple Israel Runnin' Rabbis are in the midst of season III (that's Roman for three!). They have their 6th game of the season in just over an hour. The much-beloved, and yet much maligned squad will be looking for a 2nd win to go along with 3 losses and 1 tie (that's right. a tie.) I'll certainly let you know how that turns out.

Not to be outdone, the girls of Temple Israel are clamoring (perhaps clamoring is a strong word, but a few of them have most certainly inquired about the possibility) for the formation of a ladies squad for a league to begin play later this spring. It could well be this coach's first foray into the world of women's basketball - to date, I've never coached it or played it - and it could be quite successful. There are a number of talented prospects who could make this Temple's first winning team this decade. Stay tuned for news of the Lady Rabs.

Finally, while I love coaching, I still feel the need to get off the bench and play a little ball myself. My Jewish Community Center Men's League team is kickin' some serious butt. We're 3-0 and I'm looking for my second straight championship season there. That would be sweet. I don't get out much.


No comments: