Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Collision Course

Greetings from Memphis, TN, where basketball fans and loyalists to the University of Memphis and the University of Tennessee are gearing up for the biggest basketball game ever played in this state*. ZiggyBackRiders know how excited the staff here can get about big sporting events that involve a beloved team. In the history of this blog, most of that excitement has been reserved for Texas Longhorn football, with a dash of Pittsburgh Steelers and a pinch of Memphis Tiger basketball.

This week, however, Tiger basketball is center stage**. Will I eat blue foods? That remains to be seen. Rest assured that I will do anything and everything (legal) within my (limited) power to push the Tigers to victory, state basketball supremacy, an extended winning streak and stay atop the national polls, and the hope of an undefeated, national championship season. This has all the makings of a great game - high stakes (the teams are ranked nos. 1 and 2 in all national polls and battle for the same top area recruits each year, and both teams are trying to position themselves for national title runs), exciting playing styles (both teams get up and down the court, are incredibly athletic, and play very tough defense), and a rivalry atmosphere (the two top bball programs in the state - and currently nation - large numbers of fans for each school in the city and at the game, families divided, etc). It's going to be fun and I will be a nervous wreck!

College gameday, the Saturday sports preview show that I have often referenced during football season, will air live from FedEx Forum in Memphis this Saturday. We will welcome Rece, Hubert, Digger, and Jay with open arms and we must protect this house!

Speaking of big collisions in Memphis, the other day I heard - on a radio traffic report - about a wreck at the corner of Democrat and Republican***. You think the Bluff City is excited about November?!? Chill out everyone. Several months to go.

By the way, I think if you'll take a look at Obama's winning streak in the Democratic primaries, you'll notice a strong correlation between the timing thereof and the release of this site's endorsement for him. Coincidence? I think SO.

In that same post, I delivered a scathing, yet admittedly vague review of the President's proposed budget. Devoted ZiggyBackRider and my beloved brother, David, left a comment with a lucid, thoughtful challenge to my opinions on the budget. I encourage you to read it and I encourage you to tune in soon for my response, lest you be left with no choice but to buy what David's selling.

* My opinion, but I'm pretty confident in this. If there's a game I'm forgetting that rivals this one (other than the one played at Church of the Holy Communion in Memphis in January of 1992 when I hit the game-winning buzzer-beater for Germantown Methodist - I was Methodist for basketball purposes in the early 90's), please let me know.

** The Tigers' biggest game of the week is at Tulane tonight. We don't overlook any opponent. The Green Wave (whatever the hell that means) are not to be taken lightly!

*** The nexus of the political universe?

No comments: