Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bayit, Bayit M'tukah (roughly "Home, Sweet Home")



Shalom m'Yisrael, Riders shel haBack shel Ziggy! (Hello from Israel, Riders of the back of Ziggy!)




Okay, that's enough "Hebrew" for now. I'm sure we'll get to plenty more of that as I learn it. Just went to dinner with one of my roommates, an Israeli law student and a bunch of his classmates. Didn't understand much! I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to be feeling like an idiot a lot in the coming weeks*.


Here are some photos of the neighborhood and apartment that I share with the law student and an architecture student, who I've not yet met and whose existence I can not confirm with any certainty. Of course, I've only been moved in for about seven hours.



Back home, I used to complain/joke about how long and complicated my address was. Here is my new street sign. As soon as my Hebrew improves, expect the complaining/joking to commence anew!











This is my building. Good ol' Smolenskin 3! My room is just inside the open door on the 2nd floor, far left.









This is the entrance to the building. You walk in to a normal apartment building lobby, except that there's no door to/from the outside! It's not an outdoorsy place; it's indoorsy, yet nodoorsy.











Evidently, the current or former owner of the apartment in which I live is a Dr. Pechthold. Or that is the name of the door on which this plate appears. I've not yet been here long enough to determine whether doors are named and some awarded doctorates.




The view upon crossing the threshhold that Dr. Pechthold protects. (I've decided to go with the named doctor door unless I find out otherwise.)











My room. View number 1 is from the door, facing the desk and door to the mirpeset (balcony). Okay, really, no more Hebrew today! View number 2 is from the mirpeset toward the bed.












I'd show you the closet, etc., but I don't want to wake my jet-lagged roommate, who is napping in the bed....








Well, of course he's here with me! He's going to be a rabbi, too!










And finally, the view to the southwest from my balcony...







The Prime Minister's home. If you look closely, you can see a security car with flashing lights in the foreground, and a metal barrier behind it. There are always soldiers patrolling. I live on a safe street. If you're going to mess with me, I recommend doing it elsewhere!


Sorry if the spacing of this post is a little crazy. The photos seemed to have overwhelmed blogger!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yay, Michael ! So glad you made it safely! ...love your pics and descriptions :) ...makes me wanna go back to Israel! Take care and have fun!
-jenn

Marisa B said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in Israel (pronounced with the Southern drawl Izrall). I haven't been yet so now I can visit vicariously :)