Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Ride Takes a Turn

The entire staff here at ZiggyBackRide is going to rabbinical school (seminary to become a rabbi). Here are the facts in a hopefully helpful Q & A format

Q: Where are you going?
A: Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, commonly referred to as HUC. It's the seminary of Reform Judaism.

Q: And where is this "HUC?"
A: There are four campi (I would usually say "campuses," but what if my high school Latin teacher reads this?) One is in Jerusalem. That is where I'll spend the first year. The rest will be spent on one of the three Stateside locatia ("locations" - I made that one up in case my gibberish teacher is reading.) They are in Cincinnati, New York, and Los Angeles. I have not yet been assigned, but if I had to bet, I'd put my whole stack of chips on Cincinnati.

Q: One year in Jerusalem and "the rest" in one of three places. How long is the rest?
A: The rest is four years. It is a five year program.

Q: How long???
A: Five years. So I should be a rabbi well before age 60.

Q: So you're moving to Israel for a year? When do you leave?
A: End of June. In less than a month.

Q: That's soon! Are you ready?
A: Not even close. I do have a plane ticket. Much more to arrange. Otherwise I may become part of Israel's growing homelessness problem.* In related news, if you know anyone that may want to rent or buy my condo in the greater Memphis area, let me know.

Q: Wait. Are you Jewish?
A: Umm... yes. Maybe this should have been the first question?

Q: Probably right. Sorry. So, why be a rabbi?
A: I think it's a good place to do a lot of the things I want to do, enjoy doing, and am good at. I think, too, that it's a way that I can help people, help the world, and live my faith.

Q: Where will you go after you graduate? Do they assign you or what?
A: No telling. When I am ordained, I'll interview with different congregations, etc. I could end up anywhere, but I have some say. You don't get "assigned." So we'll see.

Q: How's your Hebrew?
A: Etzi-ketzi (That's Greek for so-so, in case my Greek teacher... oh, never mind)! I've been studying and one of the first orders of business in Jerusalem is intensive training. Ask me again in six weeks!

Q: How long is this Q & A supposed to be?
A: Shorter.

Q: Oh. Sorry. Thanks for talking with us. Will there be a way for us to keep up with your experiences and adventures in the Holy Land?
A: Why, of course there will! The rabbinical ride will be chronicled right here. Visit often, especially if you can't actually visit me often!

*I don't know if Israel actually has a growing homelessness problem, but if I don't find an apartment there, I guess it will!

6 comments:

Rabbi Denise L. Eger said...

Mazal Tov on going to HUC! How Fantastic. I look forward to seeing you in Jerusalem this summer. I will be studying at Hartman for all of July. So welcome to the ranks and Mazal Tov! all the best
Denise Eger

Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

I think they should let you have automatic credit for the sermon writing course - you're not going to need any help there. Can't wait to follow your progression and hopefully before not too long, hear you speak! Mazel Tov and Best of Luck (are those really the same thing?)!

hapi said...

Hi Michael "Ziggy" Danziger, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

dan said...

Etzi-ketzi or Khetzi khetzi is in Hebrew: Half-half. In Greek you say So-so: étsi ó̱ste and Half-half: misó misó . There is no "growing homelessness problem” in Israel.

Michael Danziger said...

Dan, you'll have to take up etzi-ketzi with my Greek teacher. I would say kacha-kacha for so-so in Hebrew. I would take up the homelessness issue with the asterisk that follows its mention. If you find the asterisk at the bottom of the post, you'll see that issue explained. Thanks for reading!