Thursday, October 11, 2007

Me and My Purple Car, Vol. 2

Welcome to the second in what should be an entertaining and heart-warming series of posts about my automobile, on the occassion of passing the 100,000* mile mark. As it stands, we're at 99,654 with a weekend roadtrip that begins tonight. Depending on whose car is used for part of the trip, the 100k barrier could be broken as soon as tomorrow morning. More likely, we'll reach this historic MILEstone on Sunday afternoon.

I realize, of course, that discussing this right now could jinx the whole damn thing and the car - a 1999 Honda Accord LX, which is technically "raisin pearl" colored - might die at 99,999. Boy, would the staff here at ZiggyBackRide be pissed!**

Today, a mere 353 miles short of the mark, I filled the tank with 13.7 gallons of gasoline. With highway miles coming, that should be the historic fill-up that puts us into six-digit range. That would require an average of 25.766423 (this is no time for rounding) which - ready SUV owners? - should be no problem. For the record, the gasoline was unleaded, 87 octane, and it was purchased at the MAPCO Express at the northeast corner of Summer Avenue and North Perkins Road in Memphis, TN. It cost $2.599/gallon.

Check back for updates on the march*** to 100,000, and for more of the incredible story of "Me and My Purple Car." Upcoming volumes will explore how I came to have a purple car, what me and my purple car have done/where we have gone together, guest drivers, things stored in the trunk, and more! Stay tuned.

* I know what you're thinking: "In keeping with the ZiggyBackRide Hundred tradition, shouldn't we celebrate 100,000 at 101,000?" No.

** Partly because it would mean buying a new car. Mostly because it would put a real damper on upcoming posts in this series. This is meant to be a celebration of life, not a memorial.

*** We will mostly be driving toward 100,000, rather than marching, as I'm lazy and the car, while purple, does not have feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I saw the subject I immediately thought, "I thought it was RAISIN PEARL!?" so I thought for a fleeting moment that you had gotten a new car. phew. good luck!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a purple car, but I did just buy a purple jacket (and thought of your purple car during said purchase).