Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Am I the World's Strongest Man?

Maybe not, but I do like watching that competition. You know the one. It's on ESPN at like 2 in the morning and it's big guys with names like Lars and Jan wearing leotards and picking up stuff like barrels and small automobiles, and pulling wagons and sometimes even airplanes.

It's pretty crazy.

It is a little better than weight lifting, though, because the Strongest Man guys are at least lifting real things. Weight lifters are just lifting... weight. It was made for no other purpose than to be lifted. If people would stop making it, we wouldn't have to lift it any more. Anyway... my point is that the stuff they lift in the Strongest Man competition is actual stuff, so there's at least some connection to reality.

It's kind of an Amish reality, though, isn't it? Otherwise, how do you explain a man needing to tow an airplane?

"Pardon me, brother. Can thou help me move my airplane?"
"Why don't you just turn on the engines? It'll move."
"I'm sorry, but no. Thy way is not our way. Is anyone here really strong?"

I shouldn't pick on the Amish, though. It's not very nice. Then again, I'd rather the Amish be mad at me than Lars and Jan.

No comments: